I think that the gprof output and equivalent is the furthest one can go to appreciate IO stats. I simply measured disk system throughput (using hdparm etc) and then tuned my programs until they ran almost that fast, then stopped worrying. For other types of IO the maximum bandwidth can be appreciated using hardware data and then interpreted as above.

Peter