On 18/01/07, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 10:32:39AM +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Until the deal is approved (and, probably, for some time after it's
> approved) you see absolutely no change in anything regarding service
> from the company.

That's an interesting point, but IMHO completely wrong. You are assuming
that announcing the deal had no effect on ActCom. For example, I will
NEVER purchase anything that comes from BEZEQ International (BBL). If
they become the ONLY company selling Internet access in the country, I'll
live without it.

Since my yearly contract with HOT and Netvision is up this month, and my
connection has deteriorated in terms of staying up, from one failure
every other month, to three or four a week, I'm looking for alternatives.

Now that the possibility exists that if I sign up with ActCom, I'll end
up with BBL, they are no longer under consideration.

While I doubt that most people don't feel as strongly as I do, there are
lots of people out there who won't use their services. If they were
considering a new ISP, they won't consider ActCom, if they were ActCom
customers and their contract is up, they will change ISPs.

This will cause ActCom's income to go down, which means they will have to
reduce their expenses. One thing you don't want to do is to have lower
profits when you are trying to sell your company. Since most people have
no idea of what performance they get, or are supposed to get, the first
thing ActCom will do is to reduce the international bandwidth they buy.

This has probably started already, and will continue.

Geoff.

I've actually been very happy with Actcom. I've got my own static IP
address and a 1.5 MB line for 40 shaH a month. Before I had a router,
they help me set up scripts to connect me to the 'net. If Bezek buys
them I'll stay so long as it's Actcom representatives that I deal with
and not Bezek idiots. However, the day I call them and someone answers
the phone with the word Bezek in their mouth, I'm gone.

That said, I've noticed a slowdown of my net access over the past few
weeks. I thought that it was entrophy building up in my distro, and
that the time had come to reinstall.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/627/ziro.html
http://slashedot.org