On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 12:15 +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Deniability and signature are, as far as I can see, mutually
> exclusive.

I wonder how "Off-the-record" ( http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/ ) works
then. I'm not a cryptology expert, but I can tell you that it allows
people to IM each other, has some sort of method where you authenticate
that you know that a certain key belongs to a certain someone and then
it assures you that its the same someone for all additional
conversations, and their web site claims as thus:

Encryption
        No one else can read your instant messages.
Authentication
        You are assured the correspondent is who you think it is.
Deniability
        The messages you send do not have digital signatures that are
        checkable by a third party. Anyone can forge messages after a
        conversation to make them look like they came from you. However,
        during a conversation, your correspondent is assured the
        messages he sees are authentic and unmodified.
Perfect forward secrecy
        If you lose control of your private keys, no previous
        conversation is compromised.

It seems like they claim both deniability and and assurance (which is
what you get from signing, except w/o the signing part) at the same
time.

--
Oded
::..