On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 08:11:46PM +0200, David Suna wrote:
> I need to replace the UPS on my Ubuntu Dapper machine.  My local
> computer store (which knows nothing about Linux) has a UPS that connects
> via USB rather than the serial port.  I was wondering if anyone knows if
> this type of UPS is supported by Linux, specifically Ubuntu.  I never
> managed to configure my current UPS to interface with the system but
> since I am getting a new one I figured I would want to do it right.  The
> USB UPS is made by Gammatronic.
>

> Alternatively, does anyone have a specific UPS that they recommend to
> use with Linux?

I bought:

http://www.datech.co.il/product_info.php?cPath=422&products_id=2403

from them about a month ago.  Hence the comments about my UPS taking up
my only serial port. The only difference is the picture is white, mine
is black. It came with a link to download a fancy GUI interface which ran,
but could not see my UPS. I installed openups' smartd which records the
following information:

        IN:234.20V, FAULT:234.20V, OUT:234.60V, LOAD:18.00%
        INFREQ:50.10hz, BATT:13.50V, TEMP:25.00C, FLAGS 00001001

I don't know what it really means, except that the 1% load says it's fine.
This is the 800 VA version, it's running a 1ghz AMD computer, a YES MAX,
a cable modem and 16port hub.

Note that it openups does not actually shutdown your computer, it includes
a command for you to modify to do it, but the default is just a message.

Gammatronic UPS's have a good reputation. I've never used one.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838