Ira Abramov wrote:

> time to reconsidder XFS I guess? I never used it before. Is is better at
> recovering from crashes than ext3? journaling and all, I had it
> sometimes come up in a bad, barely recoverable state after a crash.

What I heard was that Reiser, XFS, and if I remember correctly also JFS,
only journal the metadata (cluster locations, time modifications etc.),
while EXT3 journals everything, making it, potentially, more reliable.

Then again, I also heard that most IDE drives and several SATA and SCSI
drives will lie to the OS about "write operation successfully finished
to disk" (while, in fact, data is still in the hard disk's cache). Add
to that the fact that power going down unequally throughout the computer
can cause the hard disk to keep writing junk after the CPU has already
shut off, and you get the fact that it's close to impossible to make
sure that data is never lost.

Personally, after having been burnt by Reiser a few times, I use EXT3.
XFS had several appealing points to me, but after reading the info in
the first paragraph I decided to go with less sophisticated but more
reliable.

On a related note, my Debian account manager (when I was applying to
become a Debian developer) had to run a huge mail farm for a client with
an assured maximal response time. They tested everything they could, and
eventually went for EXT2, which was the only thing that lived up to that
response time. Just a thought.

Shachar