Hi,

I'm not sure if Arch Linux is the best choice (I had tons of problems
with their packaging few months ago).

You can try to use vesa driver in the xorg.conf and it should let you
have X although non accelerated. It really depends which chipset is
inside this machine (in the IBM World, "A21p" is not enough as there
are some models of A21p, you should also check what the "computer
type" is (it's in the bottom of the machine, 3 letters, 4 numbers) or
use /sbin/lspci to see what graphics chip you got.

After setting it to VESA, you can play with the driver so you can
always at least have some stable config.

As Gil said, 128MB is too small ram if you plan to run any desktop
(GNOME, KDE, Enlightment). You can use the lighter (fvwm, icewm,
blackwm, amiwm etc..) window management plus some "lite" apps.

Thanks,
Hetz

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 3:59 PM, ik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I'm tring to help some one to "rescue" an old laptop (thinkpad A21p)
> with 128M ram. So I have installed arch linux inside. Everything went
> well, until I tried to work with xorg.
> It seems that X just ignores my settings of resolution and color
> depth, and even worse, from time to time, it either go all while (the
> screen) or black and the entire machine get stack (even the sys resque
> magic does not work). This happens to me only with arch linux's xorg.
> I have tried it using xubuntu (that had other issues, like malformed
> drivers of orinoco, but not related to x), and even DSL, and non of
> them had this type of problem.
>
> I created the xorg.conf using X -configure and even when i changed the
> support for depth to 1 bit and the resolution to 640x480 (very small
> for a 15" lcd), it just place 800x600 and 24 bit color. It also
> display half a screen, the content of X, then it have blank until a
> point it painting the screen again like it is on origin 0,0.
>
> Any ideas what I should look for, and what might cause such issues ?
>
> Thanks,
> Ido
> --
> http://ik.homelinux.org/

Skepticism is the lazy person's default position.
my blog (hebrew): http://benhamo.org