From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of ik
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:59 PM
To: linux-il
Subject: Arch Linux xorg and old thinkpad A21p laptop

Hello List,

I'm tring to help some one to "rescue" an old laptop (thinkpad A21p)
with 128M ram. So I have installed arch linux inside. Everything went
well, until I tried to work with xorg.
It seems that X just ignores my settings of resolution and color
depth, and even worse, from time to time, it either go all while (the
screen) or black and the entire machine get stack (even the sys resque
magic does not work). This happens to me only with arch linux's xorg.
I have tried it using xubuntu (that had other issues, like malformed
drivers of orinoco, but not related to x), and even DSL, and non of
them had this type of problem.

I created the xorg.conf using X -configure and even when i changed the
support for depth to 1 bit and the resolution to 640x480 (very small
for a 15" lcd), it just place 800x600 and 24 bit color. It also
display half a screen, the content of X, then it have blank until a
point it painting the screen again like it is on origin 0,0.

Any ideas what I should look for, and what might cause such issues ?

Thanks,
Ido
--
http://ik.homelinux.org/