Oren Held wrote:

I don't know much about TinyDNS,
but recently I've read a survey claiming that 70% of the name servers are
BIND: http://www.infoblox.com/library/pdf/2007-survey-executive-summary.pdf
(2nd paragraph)

TinyDNS is written by D. J. Bernstein of QMail fame. As with QMail, TinyDNS seems to me at least to reinvent the wheel for the sake of reinventing it. Whereas Bind is very picky about its complicated config file syntax, TinyDNS IMHO has too simplistic a file structure, to the point where it does what it thinks it should do the way that it thinks it should do it, and while you can force it to behave, getting it to do so is not straight-forward.

For example, TinyDNS was wanting to make the primary MX a.mx.domain and it took me quite a bit of headscratching to figure out how to make it use the hostname of my choice for the MX.

I'm sure there are others here who disagree. As a person who works on a system where the decision was made to use DJBDNS and QMail before I got here, I find it all unnecessarily cryptic. Personally I think his time would have been better spent fixing the bugs he saw in existing implementations rather than reinventing the wheel.

You can find out more about TinyDNS and his other tools at http://cr.yp.to

Geoff.