2008/8/1 Oleg Goldshmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> "Dotan Cohen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Just because an ISP provides the pipe from your door to the Wild,
>> Wild, Web does not mean that they have to handle your business mail,
>> http, and other traffic.
>
> Yes, it does mean exactly that, at least as long as no EXPLICIT
> statement was meant at the time the contract was entered into. I
> expect my ISP to route any and all packets without filtering anything.

That sounds like you are using sendmail locally, whereas I thought
that you are SMTPing to your ISP to use their sendmail.

>> You shoud inform your ISP immediately that their service is being
>> blocked because of spammers opertating from them.
>
> You are missing the point - mails don't get through not because of
> spammers, but because of stupidity of some operators (not the OP's
> ISP).

Those operators are subscribing to a  blacklist, which has blacklisted
your ISP because of spam coming from your ISP.

> If someone else decides to drop traffic, there is little that my ISP
> can do beyond complaining to the filtering party (NB: in the context
> of this discussion it is not the blacklist maintainer but whoever uses
> their services or similar stupid policies to filter). If the complaint
> is ignored, there is nothing the ISP can do.

Your ISP should take reasonable measures to prevent spam from being
send through it. Your ISP can then petition the blacklist with the
changes they have made to be removed.

> Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I had emails lost because a
> foreign ISP (not mine) filtered it out. It was explicitly a policy of
> that ISP to live on an island, they did not target my ISP or Israel or
> known spammers or anything like that (the policy was stated on their
> web page, I got the URL in the reject notification email, etc.).

They are living on a island and trusting the blacklist provider to
know who not to let on their island. Would you suggest that they let
_everyone_ on? Do you have any idea how much spam they would have to
deal with?

You could suggest that they use a more lenient blacklist. I do
understand that the blacklist is question is rather strict.

> In
> that particular case, I simply decided I would live without sending
> any emails to people who were stupid enough to use their services. It
> was their problem, not mine. I could not possibly ask my ISP to fix
> it.

You should report this to your ISP anyway. They _may_ be willing to
take countermeasures against the spammers.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il