2008/10/8 Shlomo Solomon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I'm thinking of moving from ADSL to HOT (Cable). I wanted to know 2 things:
>
> 1 - Since today I have an ADSL router (bought from Bezek), I no longer use
> pptp, NAT or any other Linux tools to connect to the Internet. The router is
> the only "computer" connected and all my Linux boxes (and my kids' Windows)
> connect "automatically". Would this be the case with cable too, or do I have
> to go back to having one computer act as a server for all the internet
> connection on my network (of 5 computers)?

This is how I have it set up. Cable comes into the house -> cable
modem provided by HOT -> router -> all the other computers. The router
handles the 'dialing' and the other computers Just Work (tm).

> 2 - Is cable as reliable as ADSL - speed, disconnects, etc?

Cable:yes
Hot: no

I have lots of problems with Hot disconnecting and very high latency.
Hot blames Nezeq Beinleimi, Nezek blames Hot. I personally believe
that Nezeq is to blame for the latency, but Hot is to blame for the
_hours_ of downtime every month.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com