2008/10/9 Shlomo Solomon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Now I'm confused. Firstly, I certainly don't expect to plug the HOT modem into
> the ADSL plug. As I already wrote (see quote above), I thought I could plug
> the HOT modem into one of the ethernet ports. I may be missing something, but
> I don't understand why you say I wouldn't be able to use the NAT facility of
> the router. If the HOT modem plugs into one ethernet port and several
> computers use the rest of the ethernet ports on the router, why would the
> router not funtion. Of course it wouldn't be connecteted to the internet
> directly, but it would be connected to the HOT modem. Am I completely wrong
> aout this being possible?

The ADSL modem is a router/modem, not a switch/modem. The difference
(at the superficial level that we are dealing with) is that with a
router, there is a WAN side (the Interwebs) and a LAN side (your home
computers). You cannot plug the Interwebs into the LAN side and expect
it to work- it won't.

Your ADSL router/modem has the WAN side of the router plugged into the
modem internally. You need either a switch, or better yet, a router.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il