On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Nadav Har'El <n...@math.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> In the last few years I purchased from Ivory several computers, usually
> the cheapest ones with the simplest motherboards, etc., and was always
> able to run the latest Linux (I prefer Fedora, but I don't think it
> matters) without any problem.

Thanks, Nadav, that has been my experience as well (with Ivory and
KSP). However, just last summer the 'new breed' of motherboards have
been introducing features that may or may not be supported under Linux
such as UEFI, 1000 Mbit LAN cards, etc.

>> It seems that the Ubuntu Hardware Compatibility List website is no
>
> I don't think the issue is whether Ubuntu supports it, but rather
> whether the Linux kernel supports it. And with all likelihood, it
> does (but don't come blaming me if it doesn't ;-))..

That is correct, but each distro will compile or supply different
drivers as per the hardware that they test on. That doesn't mean that
the required driver is not available for Linux, but rather that it may
be difficult to obtain / install on any arbitrary distro.

>> them to ditch Ivory. I have spoken with Ivory customer support, which
>> told me that they cannot guarantee that any of the motherboards will
>> work.
>
> If you want to buy 4 computers, why not buy one, test it, and then buy
> the 3 more?

Exactly what we will do.

--
Dotan Cohen