On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Oleg Goldshmidt <p...@goldshmidt.org> wrote:
> So that's  what is special about Ubuntu... I don't use it, so "lack of
> tools" is a foreign concept to me. I am sure the necessary stuff can be
> installed though.

Sure, but doing so without network is a pain. It's not typing peek and
poke instructions from a magazine into a BASIC interpreter, but a pain
nonetheless.

>> The Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H board comes with a "Atheros GbE LAN chip
>> (10/100/1000 Mbit)":
>> http://il.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4143#sp
>>
>> There is no mention of which driver it needs, and I strongly suspect
>> that the 1000 Mbit part requires nonconventional drivers
>

> Or maybe just experimental, see
> http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.7.1/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/Kconfig#L16

That is likely, considering the novelty of the device.

> Like Nadav, I don't buy much HW but I have never had a problem with
> anything. My process is, I get a spec from a vendor, look it up, including
> the components (e.g., NIC, video card, etc.), and then check whether
> everything is supported. if you ask Ivory or KSP for 2/3 options chances are
> you will find a MoBo that will work out of the box. Since there is no
> "certified with Ubintu sticker" the research is yours to do. You know, I
> suppose, what kernel version your distro uses. They may modify the kernel
> (RH do, after all) but they are not likely to throw out a working driver.
> Get the sources (see LXR above) and/or Google and you will likely find what
> you seek.

The problem is that the specs are not readily available. I have asked
Ivory for even a single option, they cannot ensure that any system
that they provide will support any Linux distro. I plan on running by
KSP tomorrow.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il