On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson
<geoffreymendel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If your infrastructure was upgraded from an aDSL-2 to vDSL/aDSL-2
> combination units, you need to upgrade your modem. You can tell, by the
> maximum speed BEZEQ can offer you. If it is 15m or less it is aDSL-2, if it
> is more, than the hardware was upgraded.
>
> The problem is the upgraded hardware does not do aDSL-2 very well, and you
> should upgrade to vDSL.
>
> BEZEQ does not tell people this when they make the upgrade.

Thank you, this seems to be the issue. I know that Bezeq has recently
installed (within the past year) a connection box ‏ 30 meters from my
building, with all sorts of fiber optic connections inside, buzzing fans and
blinking lights. The guy who installed it showed me around the box while
my dog waited patiently for her walk!

In fact, just last week I got a call from Bezeq offering to upgrade my 5 MiB/sec
connection to something higher that I don't remember. I refused only because
he wanted my billing information and I wasn't willing to give that
information to
someone who called _me_, rather I said that I'll call Bezeq and give that
information. When it turned out that was impossible, I decided that I
was talking
to a phone-phisher and told him that I refuse to give that information
over a call
that I did not initiate.

> While you are at it, you should upgrade your router. It's going to have all
> sorts of problems running out of space for routing tables, and very likely
> does not reset NAT tables when the line drops.

I don't understand why this would be an issue. Why are the routing
tables going to be larger? The router needs store only the routing
tables for the devices that it acts as a default gateway for, i.e. my
LAN and that hasn't changed. Wouldn't NAT tables be discarded anyway
after a short time? How else could two computers on the LAN browse the
same website?

> I have had really good results with a D-Link 6740vn router from BEZQ which
> has an integrated vDSL modem.
>
> It's nice because you can log into the router and check the speed and
> quality of the DSL connection. You can even run BERT (bit error rate) tests
> "on the fly".

I'll ask about that. Thanks.

> Note that almost no one in Israel had an aDSL connection to their central
> office. BEZEQ quietly replaced every line they could, and are still working
> on the rest with fiber optic connections. Each connection is 100mBit and
> gets split "at the corner" to DSL lines.
>
> So your actual DSL connection is a most a few hundred meters, and often a
> lot less.
>
> Geoff.

Thank you!

--