Here's how I do such stuff:

  1. Partition the new disk however you want.
  2. Boot from a live disk (e.g. - an Ubuntu installation DoK)
  3. Mount both old and new, and copy everything over. I usually use "cd old ; tar cf - . | tar -C /new xvf -".
  4. Shut down machine, remove old disk, boot up with Ubuntu Dok again
  5. Mount the new drive somewhere, and do the following commands:
    1. mount --bind /dev /new/dev
    2. chroot /new
    3. mount none /sys -t sysfs
    4. mount proc /proc -t proc
    5. Update /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab in case they have ID based mounts, as the partition IDs have now changed
    6. install-grub /dev/sda (or nvme0n1, whatever)
    7. (probably not necessary, but just to be on the safe side): mkinitrd (need to look up precise command line)

Unmount everything and reboot, and you should be golden.

Shachar