I'm not an expert, but I found out that if I login as a regular user, I use
sedo only when necessary. But when I login as root (which I do) I am root
all the time. This may cause problems if by mistake I enter a command which
might cause a big damage as root, but not a big damage as a regular user.
Such as, for example, rm -f. So the security issue is also for me entering
as a legitimate user and accidentally writing a wrong command. Which will
probably not happen with sedo. Especially when sedos require for me to
enter my password.

Anyway, some servers I manage I am able to login as root and some not, as
root login there is disabled. I'm not an expert is security but I think
usually my servers are not cracked/hacked as long as I keep the passwords
secure. If I login as root and don't make mistakes such as above, I don't
see why logging in as root is less secure than sedo.

By the way, sometimes I login as a regular user and then su. I don't
remember if this option is enabled in all my servers.
אורי
u...@speedy.net