Allow me, if I may, to set up the stage for you.

I don't know the precise scenario that causes this to happen, but one thing that triggers it reliably is starting up X-Plane 11 and taking off. A few second and up to a minute into the flight, my KDE "shutting down" screen comes up. If I cancel the shutdown, the screen comes up one more time on its own, and then the computer just shuts down.

Now, I know what you're all thinking. So I ran X-Plane while monitoring the CPU's and GPU's temperatures. Sure enough, they get hot. I opened up the laptop (Dell XPS 15, a gamer's laptop), cleaned the fans, and ran the game again. Temperatures were much more reasonable. But the shutdown screen popped up again.

I ran it with dmesg running. While there are some temperature throttling messages, not a lot, and none that claim I *have* to shut down.

I am looking for a way to debug this. Obviously, something in the hardware gives the command to shut down the computer. I have, however, not been able to find out what and why.

Does anyone have any idea which system might be issuing this command, and where it might be writing its logs?

Shachar