I tried to walk a friend through using Windows 10 to create a bootable
Linux USB disk, so they'd install their first Linux box.

Debian (and FreeBSD) recommend win32diskimager.  Arch suggested a few
other tools, of which I tried Rufus 3.19 and "dd for windows".  The
first and third didn't work at all; the second worked once but not again
on the same image.

Rather than try a fourth tool, I went ahead and created the bootable USB
disk for my friend myself using good old dd(8) on one of my existing
Linux machines.

Now I wonder how a random Windows user is supposed to bootstrap
themselves a bootable Linux USB disk.  Perhaps my experience is not
representative.

Cheers,

Daniel