On 06/28/2016 10:20 PM, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> You know the terms under which LinuxSampler is released, its
> clearly and prominently written on the website

Sadly no, those terms as self contradictory and hence invalid.
One can only assume or guess your intentions.

You're on the safe side: Any just court would uphold your (C) claim and
clearly stated intention for no commercial use, but it leaves users out.

One can assume that you won't be suing users for non-commercial use but
there's no guarantee. It's a status-quo.

>> So if one were to take the individual source files and re-roll them
>> into a new archive... ?!
>
> Wrong. Neither are all files of LinuxSampler's sources pre-headed
> with a GPL intro text, nor would this action be legitimate.

Where does this leave files that do have a GPL header?

say for example
http://svn.linuxsampler.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/linuxsampler/trunk/src/common/Thread.cpp

Can I use that in an independent project with vanilla GPLv2?

COPYING in the source-dir is GPLv2, the README contradicts that.

I would like to encourage you to properly license LinuxSampler if only
to prevent future threads like this.

Cheers!
robin