On 06/29/2016 08:17 PM, RDP wrote:
> On 28 June 2016 at 23:12, Robin Gareus <ro...@gareus.org> wrote:
>> On 06/28/2016 11:39 PM, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
>
>>> .. if you really want license issues to be addressed, sit down, elaborate
>>> and suggest
>>> clear license terms by yourself which could become a candidate to resolve
>>> those overall
>>> issues.
>
>> Ok here it goes: I suggest to take the GPLv2. amend Section 1 with the
>> non commercial exception and change the name to LinuxSampler License.
>
> Might it not be a good idea for this discussion to be taken here,
>
>    http://bb.linuxsampler.org/
>
> .. with some drafts published  ( wiki style ), so that such a beast
> can be formalised?

wiki-style sounds good to me. As to where I don't care. Does
http://bb.linuxsampler.org/ facilitate editing a shared topic?
or a google-doc or page on wiki.linuxaudio.org - Can you set this up?

As for discussion while editing #lad IRC on freenode.net
   http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=lad
would be a good idea.

..to roll the ball a bit further, the goal is a proper valid license
which directly answers the following questions without doubt:

  * Under what conditions can I use Linuxsamler ?
use: GPL

  * Can I change linuxsampler and redistribute the sources?

yes, that's how you send patches & contribute

  * Can I build and distribute binaries not for profit? Even if the
target host is a commercial system?

probably :)  --- needs clarification

 * Can automate compilation and binary distribution not for profit
...and accept donations for it? --  Even if the target host is a
commercial system?

probably not. --- needs clarification

  * Who needs to accept the license?

both: distributor and user.

  * Can I include binaries pre-installed on commercial hardware?

No.

  * Can I use GPLed parts of the source in a GPLv2 application?

I suppose so. --- needs clarification

  * What commercial licensing options are available?

-> send email to ...

ciao,
robin