incredible, that seems to have fixed it, my usbmouse (corepointer)
  was set to /dev/psaux->/dev/misc/psaux, changed to /dev/input/mouse0
  and the wacom button appears to have corrected itself.

  can this be fixed/documented! i feel like i've been chasing a
  wild goose..

  thankyou so much medha, and also for thomas for his thoughts.

patrick