There's no reason why the third finger should not be held on the belly
   - rather than the more conventional fourth.  Indeed, some historical
   players (Kapsberger comes to mind) are recorded as only plucking with
   the thumb, first and second fingers.
   Further, it's not wholly unlikely that the painting shows a model who
   may not have had much, if any, real instruction on how to play the
   instrument -  how many modern depictions of lutes (in ads etc) depict
   unlikely postures which are accepted by the general public (eg a
   current UK Building society TV ad)  and even, amazingly, a print ad for
   a manufacturer of thirteen course and other lutes being played in what
   appears to be an unconventional manner
   MH

   On Saturday, 2 March 2019, 04:39:51 GMT, Lisa Sass @muse
   <muse314...@gmail.com> wrote:
   You're welcome! Towards the end, he gets into finger position. Plus,
   link to a followup article from ~2005 is at the very bottom.
   Sent from my TRS-80

   <[2][4]edward.y...@gmail.com>
   >>  wrote:
   >>
   >>  Hi everyone,
   >>  over a decade ago, I recall attending one of the talks at the UK
   Lute