Looking at the LyX doc and the resulting .pdf I don't see the error:
-----
chapter 2.

! LaTeX Error: Unicode character ^^Q (U+0011)
               not set up for use with LaTeX.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.222 ...els based on probability distributions^^Q
                                                  . There
-----
Here's the text from the .lyx file:

Because all environmental (and ecological) studies work with comparatively
small samples from populations of almost infinite numbers of possible
samples we need models based on probability distributions. There are many
probability distributions that describe the the frequency of values across
their range.

A web search shows that unicode U+0011 is 'device control one.' What device
is it trying to control in the above paragraph?

TIA,

Rich