On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Rich Shepard wrote:

Looking at the small window of View -> Code Preview Pane -> Complete
Source and scrolling I didn't see any control character. Looking at the
.lyx file in emacs and searching for the string highlighted by the error
message also did not present a visible control character.

My morning mug of coffee finally kicked in. Control characters, by
definition, are not printable; ergo, they cannot be seen.

I erased the string "distributions. There" where the control character was
found just before the period, and retyped the string. Now the document
compiles without error.

Should have thought of this yesterday.

Thanks, Jürgen.

Regards,