> Maybe you need enchant (default on debian), it uses different spell checkers.

Thank you for the suggestion. I finally got the bright idea of looking through
the configure script for relevant flags and found “--with-included-hunspell”.
Apparently, by default the script looks for an installed version of hunspell
instead of using the version that’s included in the distribution and, for some
reason, it wasn’t able to find my installed version of hunspell. But
configuring with the above flag did the trick. My document is now nicely
littered with wavy red underlines (as desired!). :-)

-chris