If it came with a cable, it's probably a working cable. But if it's home
made, maybe it's not polarity keyed and it's possible to plug something in
backwards? Or it might be missing 1/2 of a 2-part cable.

Can you take a picture of it?

It's also possible to have a bad drive. Myself and someone else have had
bad original dvi drives just in the last few months.

Do you get sensible prompts on the TV? Specifically, do you get the
copyright notice after closing the drive door? That would prove that the
drive is working at least that much. If the drive is bad you can replace it
by looking for any 360k drive, 360k not 1.2m. (the original drive is really
180k, basically a 360k drive with only one read/write head, but you're not
going to find one of those)

Did you follow the boot procedure from the manual exactly? The order of the
steps matters, and when it's all done and worked correctly, there is very
little evidense to show that it worked. The available memory drops by about
5k. Other than that it doesn't look like it's working. The TV screen will
be just black, and the M100 will be at the main menu.

But if you go into BASIC and type "SCREEN 1,1" then you'll know if it's
working.

The order is:

Power-on TV, Power-off both M100 and DVI. Disk out of drive. Drive door
open.

Power on M100. Ctrl-break-reset M100. (This will wipe all ram. You don't
usually have to cold reset and wipe all ram, but do it this time)

Power on DVI.

Wait for prompt on TV.
Follow prompt on TV to insert disk and close drive door.

Press the reset button on the M100. Just reset, not ctrl-break-reset, and
just a momentary press.

The TV should go black and the M100 should be at the main menu now. Go into
basic and try any of the dvi commands like screen or lfiles.