I know, I'm not alone in this... :(

I like to think that it's still feasible to run one's own email. I have for
many years, and currently manage about a dozen email domains for family and
friends. Most of the time all good.

Then today my dad says to me "Why am I getting these bounce messages?"

I check, and Gmail are deferring an email he sends every week to a group of
friends, 20 all up, 15 of them on Gmail, saying his SPF domain is a source of
unsolicited email (421-4.7.28). Outlook and Hotmail accept OK.

This domain is old, not compromised, has SPF, DKIM (1024bit), DMARC, all valid.
We send using TLS. We have correct PTR. His emails go out fully signed and pass
checks. We don't send commercial emails, and that domain name is low volume and
all emails individually written and sent through a webmail client, none of it
is automated.

Are we wasting time even trying any more?

You can't even submit a request to them for help, because they ignore it unless
you attach valid and current mis-classified headers from within gmail. Umm..
how can I do that when they're not accepting the email?

Simon Wilson
M: 0400 121 116