Thanks all. I'll answer comments here in one email.
I use a single mail host (mail.simonandkate.net) as MX for a range of family
domains on a fixed/business IP address through a high quality ISP (not a
variable IP, not in a dial-up block). I've had the same IP address for about 7
years. It has a good reputation, sends < 1k emails per week, and I monitor
blocklists. Neither the domain nor the IP are on spamhaus or other BLs. My
parents' domain is howiesue.net, we've owned it for about 10 years. Its inbound
MX and outbound SMTP host is mail.simonandkate.net, which has a valid PTR
associated with the IP address noted above (again, which has been in place for
many years).

howiesue.net has a valid hard-fail/reject SPF policy for the IP mail host we
use, we DKIM sign all outbound messages with a 1024-bit key, and valid DMARC is
setup. I have the domain in Google Postmaster Tools, but is too low volume to
generate any data.

I'll have a look at DNSWL.org - thank you Randolf for that suggestion.

The error message from Google is specifically:

421-4.7.28 Gmail has detected an unusual rate of unsolicited mail originating
from your SPF domain [howiesue.net      35]. To protect our users from spam,
mail sent from your domain has been temporarily rate limited. For more
information, go to https://support.google.com/mail/?p=UnsolicitedRateLimitError
to review our Bulk Email Senders Guidelines

Google search tells me this is NOT the message they use when the IP address is
the issue, but that they are having some unknown issue with the domain.

I've checked my logs, and the domain is not compromised; he's sent a total of
10 emails in the last week lol... This one that Gmail have decided to block is
the first to Gmail this week, but he regularly sends to the people on that
list. The email contains 15 Gmail recipients, and is still deferred 12 hours
later.

I've tested and they accept email from me to individuals on his list from the
same mail host from my personal domain - reinforcing that we don't have an IP
rep issue.

Randolf - I've reviewed the Google support doc on deferred email, and there is
nothing in there that I need to change - we use TLS (with valid certs), have
valid PTRs and other DNS records, have SPF (with hard fail / reject requested
for non-authorised IPs) and DKIM, DMARC, and are not sending spam, it's
personal email not bulk. There is no reason on that page which I can see which
gives them reason to defer us.

When I follow their troubleshooter, it drops me to the contact form Randolf
mentions, but I cannot achieve any progress because you *have* to include "To
help us investigate a message that was rejected or blocked, please provide the
full headers from a recent message (less than 12 days old)". That header has to
be from the RECEIVED end, i.e. Gmail - which I cannot do because to do that I'd
have to actually be able to get an email through from the domain. I tried
sending log details of the deferral with info on our compliant setup, and the
"ticket" is auto-closed because it doesn't include the headers they "need".

I think I'm just going to need to tell him to set up a different way to contact
his friends instead of this list...

If I've missed something, I'd love to hear it.

Simon

On Saturday, December 30, 2023 20:28 AEST, Eduardo Díaz Comellas via mailop