No, set.mm is working in ZFC, or rather a conservative extension thereof.
Classes are ZFC classes, they cannot be quantified but they represent
maybe-proper classes in the usual way. They are not "in the universe" in
the sense that "A. x ph" ranges over all sets, and proper classes are not
considered, but they are expressible in the language, essentially as
syntactic sugar for predicates with one designated free variable.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 11:59 PM bil...@gmail.com <bill...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So we can say that metamath is working in "new foundations" rather than
> "zfc"? In particular, this would explain why "classes" are being used.
>
> On Friday, September 29, 2023 at 10:51:44 PM UTC-5 di....@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> (copying my answer, something odd seems to have happened to the first
>> post)
>>
>> The first assumption ( A = B -> ( ps <-> ch ) ) is the idiomatic way to
>> say that ch is the result of substituting A for B in ps, and there are many
>> theorems that produce results of this form. The theorem is still true when
>> you only have a one-directional implication (in fact the first step of the
>> proof is to weaken it to one), but users of the theorem will normally have
>> the biconditional on hand so it is more convenient to write it that way to
>> make the theorems more interoperable.
>>
>> This theorem is true in any classical logic, so it holds in both NF and
>> ZFC. (It does not hold in iset.mm, which uses intuitionistic logic,
>> because there is a case distinction on A = B in this theorem.) New
>> Foundations is an axiomatic system with a lot in common with ZFC, and basic
>> theorems like this will be true in both.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 11:46 PM bil...@gmail.com <bil...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Theorem pm2.61ne is the following:
>>>
>>> Hypotheses:
>>> pm2.61ne.1 |- ( A = B -> ( ps <-> ch ) )
>>> pm2.61ne.2 |- ( ( ph and A =/= B ) -> ps )