> Consider the fact that Unix have been around since the 1970's, and the
> *BSD flavor is as direct a descendant of the original look, feel and
> intent as you can possibly find today.
>
> Linux is, in that regard, an abomination. It's the bastard child of
> someone not properly trained in the "unix way", who made stuff up
> as he went without regard for history, continuity, elegance or, for
> that matter, backwards compatibility.

"history", "continuity" and "backwards compatibility".

That would apply to all BSDs and all Unixes. You get tweaking all the
time, over the years all codebases would diverge. And you shouldn't
blindly respect any particular thing. The opensource world for the
most part doesn't. :-)

> I feel the same way as you do, only the other way around. I really
> can't stand using a linux system for any length of time. Everything
> is similar, but different. Or different, but similar. And so darn stupid!
>
> Linus didn't do his homework properly. That, combined with the fact that
> Linux became such a huge success is both a blessing and a curse to us
> in the unix community; on the one hand Linux provides us with plenty of
> young blood in a new generation of hackers... while on the other hand
> they can't speak properly!

Yep, in some cases they speak way too fast, and change their protocol
every two years just for the heck of it.

> It's as if they've accidentally gone to veterinary school instead of
> medical school, without knowing it. Sure, they'd know just as much
> about anatomy as a real doctor would, but take my advice: if you're
> not a horse, don't go there for your pains...

In the real world, doctors learn their stuff as they go along too. A
vet's job is more challenging than a human doctor, think of the
differing but similar anatomies. Unfortunately, vet patients can't sue
yet (they might do it yet, what with the spread of technology in these
here parts) for any mistakes.