On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:20:22PM -0400, vadi...@gmail.com wrote:
> Sorry I really did not want to start any flame. I just thought that
> getting answer from the mailing list would be faster than spending my
> time studying source code of the new system.
>
> > What you should do is relearn the proper way. :-)
>
> Ok, let me turn my question the other way around. Suppose I typed
>
>  ls -l /some/very/long/path/to/file
>
> and the file is too big so I want to use -h option. I use a text
> terminal so I can not use mouse to position cursor. How people usually
> handle this on *BSD systems?

They learn to use their tools.

Whatever the mode, be it vi or emacs, there are shortcuts to go back
to the beginning of the line easily.

The behavior you want is highly ambiguous and leads to unpredictability.
How do you list a file called -h ? Your command line will mean different
things depending on whether there *is* a file called -h in the system
or not.  You said you were interested security ? Predictability is a
prerequirement.