I think he did answer your question, if you read between the lines.. A session
cannot be 'pushed' to max! It needs to demand the bandwidth in the first place.
Try reading this; http://trash.net/~kaber/hfsc/SIGCOM97.pdf

This along side /many/ other Internet pages allowed us to fully implement and
utilise hfsc and frankly it is awesome..

It is admittedly a complex system but is very powerful and does have a few
shortcomings as Henning implied.

At some point I'm planning to write an hfsc how-to for our guys in the company
I work for as their are a lot of 'rules' which need to be follow to write
effective hfsc queues which I will post here for others when I get to it.

All that said, I myself have one last question... What is the difference if any
between an hfsc 'priority' and a 'prio' metric?

My understanding is that the hfsc priority has a lesser effect over prio. Hfsc
'priority' has a range double that of 'prio' but seeing as VLAN TOS is mapped
into prio, I make sure that my hfsc 'priority'ies map to my 'prio' values as I
don't know any better.

I feel your pain though as hfsc is complex, but replaces cbq, and 'red' is dead
(read up about ECN (explicit congestion notification))..

Good luck.. Andy

Sent from my iPhone