On Thu, November 14, 2013 10:01 pm, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff wrote:
> Marc Espie said:
>> You could point the guy at the FAQ, with caveats since the FAQ *doesn't
>> cover his specific case*.  But your way of phrasing your answer is not
>> a polite way to put it, and it's completely unjustified !
>
> FAQ never covers one's specific case - it covers general case and has to
> be applied to the situation. Windows 7 instructions work for Windows 8,
> and before asking on mailinglist OP should have tried it. If it failed,
> his query should have been:
>
>   I tried to set up dualbooting Windows 8.1 with OpenBSD following the
>   advice for Windows 7 from FAQ 4.9, but at the step *N* (command *cmd*)
>   it failed. Did anyone have success with setting up Windows 8 and
>   OpenBSD to play together in dualboot?
>
> Instead we got a general query *before* any action.
>
> Keep in mind that potential risk boiled down to wasted space on the hard
> drive, which could be easily reclaimed for OS the OP would prefer if
> dualboot was impossible.
>
> I see no way to defend OP against lack of proper research allegation.

I think that none should defend the OP, it is a huge problem with FAQ,
because they are oriented to people who know/understand OpenBSD.

As example, i have used ftp without ftp-proxy; because i am not able to
understand how to configure it; there is not a clear explanation in FAQ,
and the few references, are not enough to make it correctly. The point
probably is that its configuration is so simple that it is not reflected
in the FAQ. But, for new users, it is very important to know this
unimportant information, and it is usually the case with FAQ; that
Unimportant information are omitted.

Thanks.

PS:
If it were possible, i am able to help with it. I can not help in other way!