According to Matt Sergeant:

> > >Would it be possible to have a generic server, like Apache, but not just
> > >for HTTP - something that could also serve up NNTP connections, FTP
> > >connections, etc. It seems to me at first look this should be possible.
> > >
> > >As I can see it there's a few key components to Apache:
> > >
> > >forking tcp/ip server
> > >file caching/sending
> > >header parsing
> > >logging
> >
> > Sounds a lot like inetd to me, IMHO.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, but inetd is just #1 of those points. And slow too.

Inetd just decides which server to start for which protocol, and
the only slow part is starting up a large program which may need
to read a config file.  However you didn't explain why you would
like to replace these typically small and fast programs with
a 10-20Meg mod_perl process.  I can see where having a common
modular authentication method would be useful, but what else would
they have in common?

  Les Mikesell
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]