On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Leslie Mikesell wrote:
> According to Matt Sergeant:

> > > Sounds a lot like inetd to me, IMHO.
> >
> > Maybe I'm wrong, but inetd is just #1 of those points. And slow too.
>
> Inetd just decides which server to start for which protocol, and
> the only slow part is starting up a large program which may need
> to read a config file.  However you didn't explain why you would
> like to replace these typically small and fast programs with
> a 10-20Meg mod_perl process.  I can see where having a common
> modular authentication method would be useful, but what else would
> they have in common?

Well I'll show by example. Take slash (the perl scripts for slashdot.org) -
it's got a web front end and now available is an NNTP front end. Wouldn't
it be nice to run both in-process under mod_perl, so you could easily
communicate between the two, use the same logging code, use the same core
modules, etc. That's what I'm thinking of.

Besides that, with a mod_perl enabled generic server rather than an inetd
server there's no loading config files for each request, no starting a
process, and Apache 2.0 (and I'm assuming mod_perl) will be available as a
threaded server, so it's only 1 10-20M process, not 100+.

--
<Matt/>

Details: FastNet Software Ltd - XML, Perl, Databases.
Tagline: High Performance Web Solutions
Web Sites: http://come.to/fastnet http://sergeant.org
Available for Consultancy, Contracts and Training.