Well, I finally got it to work with Apache::Request.  I had to do "$args =
Apache::Request->new($r);" and "$file = $args->upload;" in the handler sub
and then pass $args and $file to any other subs that needed it.  Maybe this
is normal but if so I was unaware of it.  I was doing all of the above
within a different sub that gets called from handler.

BTW, Can I do a conditional on the creation of $file that would return false
if there was no file uploaded???