Jeffrey Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> That's what the driver handle's ping method is for.
>
> if (!$dbh->ping) { &reconnect; }

I suppose I could do a ping before every page, but really that's only a kludgy
work-around. Really I would want to do this before every single query, and the
right way to do that is to check every call for errors and handle
those that indicated connection problems by reconnecting. Introducing extra
traffic to do this is a waste.

Unfortunately Oracle doesn't seem to return any one specific error when
disconnected. I've seen a lot of "TNS can't resolve name" type errors (I
forget the number, sorry) and a lot of "hostdef extension not found" which
oerr says is an internal error and indicates a library bug :)

--
greg