On Sat, 2001-11-10 at 04:50, DL Neil wrote:
> > It seems that once again a taiwan.com address has been subscribed
> > to this mailing list. In case you haven't noticed, taiwan.com
> > has a very broken mailer, which sends an error message to
> > whoever posts anything on this list. Apart from this being
> > annoying (especially since the date on taiwan.com's mail server
> > is one day into the future), I have in the past received several
> > spam mails from taiwan.com. I have no reason to believe that
> > my address was not harvested from this list, so I think it would
> > be in the interest of everyone here to have taiwan.com banned.
> > Is this a reasonable request, or should I just ask the admin
> > of my mail server to add a filter?
> >
> > //C
> >
> > database,sql,query,table
>

> Carl,
>
> I have just spent over three weeks trying to reestablish email contact with a
>personal friend in the States.
> Someone at my ISP has apparently been ACCUSED of spamming someone at his ISP. The
>reaction was to 'bounce' all
> email between the two domains. The fact that I have my own sub-domain completely
>escaped their
> attention/interest. The baby was thrown out with the bathwater! I have finally
>managed to get the two ISPs
> talking (not an easy task when one is 'bouncing' the other's domain!) Duh!!!???

While I sympathize with you, I have to agree somewhat with Carl on this
one.  While I haven't gotten any spam from taiwan.com (or at least none
that I've noticed -- I have all the taiwan.com mail filtered out here)
the fact remains that their mailer is busted.  It only looks at the TO
and FROM headers, while it should only look at the RCPT and FROM SMTP
commands.  It's really rather amusing, until you get dozens of them.

Because of the above problem with the mailer, I don't believe that the
MySQL list is making it to whoever the intended recipient is anyway,
since their address is not in the TO field.  If the taiwan.com address
was unsubscribed, I don't think it would actually have any detrimental
affects on anyone...

Just my 2c.

Steve Meyers