C T wrote:

1) The first thing I noticed was the icons for CD/DVD and CD/R-W disappeared from the desktop -

2) A few days later, I'm running a tone generator program under WINE - a Windoze program that *does* work in Linux. It worked fine for a while - then suddenly WINE would exit, failing... but if I hit 'debug' it would start and run normally

3) About the same time: Opera (v 7.11) started acting weird. First instead of a clicked link opening another tab in the window it started opening new windows

4) Next: XMMS on occasion fails to open a stream that I listen to regularly and gives a message that the correct plugin may not be chosen. I go to preferences and find that the enable plugins box (for IO) has become unchecked - choosing the correct plugin, enabling and hitting 'apply' puts things back in order and the stream plays.

5) A while later: Using MCC I tried to install the Development packages (which I thought I'd chosen at install time) but MCC wouldn't even allow me to check the boxes, except for the documentation.

Curt

I do not know the answer to all your problems, but it would seem to me that 1 to 3 may be videocard/driver, and, or, settings related. In that you can also include monitor settings.
At least I would want to check that all is stable there before moving on.

All of that is done in MCC, unless you have 3rd party drivers to install.

Then I would post a thread for each problem you list, and I marked as 1-5.

If installing your OS went satisfactory, reinstalling it is unlikely to improve things all that much, except that each individual user improves their knowledge of how to do it, so that if you are new to Mandrake then the experience is worthwhile.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]