On Sunday September 7 2003 08:45 am, ed tharp wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 08:55, DrewMartin wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >          Before this turns into a flame war between those of us
> > how still use Windows to some degree(or are forced to for
> > various reasons). It is a well know fact that the script
> > kiddies who write these insidious pieces of code only do so,
> > because Windows is such a wide spread OS in the world out
> > there.If/when Linux(or Macs) become the OS of choice for the
> > world at large,then the will start writing viri for these OS's
> > too. Yes I do know for a virus to have full affect in Linux you
> > must be running as root,but some clever bastard out there will
> > one day work out how to rip thought that level of secretly.
> >                           Drew
>
> ahh NO!
>
>    http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/

    I was gonna stay out this. Oh well ;)  I was thinkin of posting
the same link Ed.

   OTOH, M$ OS's being attacked "because Windows is such a wide
spread OS in the world" just goes to show how successful M$ FUD is
for those who want to believe it. Many do. For Linux to ever be as
vulnerable as any M$ OS is, all the simplest security measures
would have to be ignored, and you'd need to run, and connect to the
Net as root. There's very real reasons M$ currently has their own
microsoft.com servers hiding behind some Linux boxes.