Hi Bryan,

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 19:15, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> <snip>

>  Just because a
> company pursues goals that are not in my best interests and seeks to limit my
> choices to those that make them money does not make them evil, that is simply
> reality.  Every human will try to make things work out best for himself, even
> if that sometimes is at the expense of others.  That is just plain old
> self-interest and survival instinct.  And, for better or worse, companies are
> run by ordinary humans.

That is a very measured attitude; however, most (all?) societies
consider it in the common good to limit how far individuals or groups
can pursue self-interest at the expense of others.... checks and
balances, etc........   What worries me how MS seems able to ignore with
impunity checks that are applied to others.

> Now, once our basic needs have been met, some of us my pursue our interests
> with more moderation than others, some may even be altruistic (if only for
> their own ego purposes) but I would not want to argue that someone wanting to
> make more money is necessarily evil.

No,I don't know that anyone has said that so far. But the means, and the
end result of allowing them to pursue it unchecked, may be considered
extremely undesirable for society at large.

>  <snip>
>
> That doesn't mean that I would not resist someone trying to force me to use a
> product that is not in my best interest, just that I don't take it
> personally.

Well,of course that's a personal matter.Some people may have had more
bruising experiences of this than you, perhaps, and might take it
differently.

DougB