Richard Urwin wrote:
On Wednesday 01 Sep 2004 11:55 pm, flesh.99 wrote:

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:40:17 -0400, Bryan Phinney

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 06:02 pm, Margot wrote:

They don't supply a modem. Can anyone recommend one which will
definitely work with Mandrake 10 (and with Win 98SE, as I'm now
dual booting)? Preferably an external one, as I'm not confident
with screwdrivers! Or, are there any I should definitely avoid?

Margot, you really should be asking them for a list of recommendations. ADSL is not totally universal as far as equipment goes, so the kind of modem that you need is going to be determined by the hardware at the DSLAM and phone company, not based on the operating system you run. According to their web page, they support the Speedtouch 330 USB DSL modem as well as the Netgear DM602 router/modem.

Personally, I would go for the Netgear if I were you, it will hook
up to your ethernet card and should be as close to plug and play as
you get.  The USB option is more likely to result in possible
compatibility problems.

It appears that the USB is fine as well: http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/fc2_speedtouch_usb.html http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/

There are some issues, but the howto's should get them through it.
There is a lot of support for it out there. It won't be as easy as
the NetGear but it's all about choice.

The other nice thing about ethernet routers is that you can have a firewall up that allows no evil traffic to even get as far as your machine.

Try the reviews on http://www.adslguide.org.uk/
 http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/

Thanks, all - I think I'm going to have to go with the USB option for now - I don't have an ethernet card! And the Speedtouch 330 seems to be fairly cheap and widely available...

Margot