JoeHill wrote:
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:53:14 +0100
Margot disseminated the following:

crontab -e

which gets you into your user's cron config, hit 'i' to insert text, then:

0 * * * * /path/to/script > /path/to/outputfile

I got this far...but couldn't work out how to save what I'd inserted! Checked man crontab, looked for the file in the location that man said it should be in - I don't appear to have a crontab file at all! Eek!

Dang, sorry, forgot that part. Gotta stop...doing that...thing...that I
do...

It's Vi you are using to edit the crontab, so once you (i)nsert the text,
hit Esc to exit insert mode, then':wq' and Enter (the ':' is to tell Vi you are
giving a command, the 'wq' means'write, then quit'). You should then get a
message something like 'new crontab installed'. Vi is bloody intimidating at
first, but from what I've heard, once you get used to it...well, like anything
else.

Anyhow, it's better than Emacs.

/joehill ducks to avoid barrage of arrows tipped with C4

Thanks for the 'lesson', Joe - I'll save it for future reference - and I hope you haven't started the Vi vs Emacs flamewar again!

Meanwhile, Warren from NZ has found a much easier solution (for me, at least) - Kalarm. Kalarm is a nice easy GUI that can be set to run the script at any interval I want - say, every 10 minutes - might even be useful for other people who want to run things more often than the 'hourly' option on cron!