On Saturday 25 September 2004 01:17 am, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> Does he have onboard 10/100 and is it a Broadcomm chip?  Seems I
> remember reading that the mac addresses for onboard stuff could be
> changed...somewhere.  I thought it interesting at the time but right now
> I can't remember exactly what the context was.

Nope, its an actual NIC, a Linksys, which is what I've got in all 3 comps on
my LAN - they've been rock solid until now, but they are anywhere from 3 - 5
years old.

Yes. There is a command to change how the actual hardware address of the NIC
is reflected (this is with the IPX tools installed:

"ipx_interface add -p eth0 802.2 0x12345678"

Quite some time since I used it - it was primarily in conjunction with trying
to get an earlier version of Starcraft to work with networking. Thankfully,
the later updates to Starcraft allowed networking, and not having to use IPX
as the protocol.

> Check the route via the route command and make sure he has the right
> gateway.  Don't depend on the config files, use "route" and see what's
> there from the command line.
>
> LX

He's in bed asleep now - I'll try it first thing in the morning. Thanks!

--

                                                              /\
                                                         Dark<  >Lord