As in, I've just had one in the last little bit. :-(

I was attempting a d/l via bittorrent. It timed out, and gave an error
this for a few moments - then I started losing my system. I couldn't
right-click on the desktop and get a popup menu, then icons wouldn't respond.
Finally, the taskbar kinda faded out.

I went for the KDE task manager to see if something was grabbing all my
resources and kill it, but it wouldn't open up. Finally, I killed the x
server with a <control> <backspace>. I was dropped to a prompt, instead of
the graphical login I usually get. (this all happened pretty fast folks). I
decided not to take any chances and reboot. I su'ed and 'shutdown -r now" but
it wouldn't go past the shutdown message. I let it set for about 10 minutes
before trying to go to another console, but by this point - everything was
locked up hard. So...I gritted my teeth and powered off. (I should mention
that I tried the "raising skinny elephants" bit first).

Starting backup, it goes fine until reiserfs starts complaining about not
having shutdown correctly (expected), but where normally this is recovered
and the boot process continues - it drops to a prompt, where you can login as
root. So I did. Started doing the usual reiserfsck stuff, --check,
--rebuild-tree and all that. Everything is fine until we get to /dev/hda8
(home). It gets to about 80% complete - then says there is a file that has to
be deleted - it reports it does, but then locks up there every time. I tried
about 3 times like this, reboots always gives the error that --rebuild-tree
did not finish (duh).

Anyways, so in a complete reversal of what usually happens, where you keep
home and have to redo everything else, I had to do the upgrade, select no
packages - and format hda8 (home). Odd.

Fortunately, I do have recent backups so I didn't lose anything vital but I
wold appreciate comments on what anyone thinks may have happened and why
reiserfsck, which has been ultra-reliable here, couldn't handle whatever
happened to my home directory.

Thanks guys! :-)

--

                                                                       /\