Marcia Waller wrote:
> Dear All, I thank all of you for giving me the suggestions
> for my printer. I have done most of them and none have
> improved my situtation.
[snip]

> This problem is the same even though I started over and
> even got the new cups 1.1.8 installed. With this new cups
> which I had to use force to install left out my cups
> webadmin choice from my printing selections. Again nothing
> has changed. It does not print anything or just gibberish
> and sends many papers through my printer that will not stop
> even when I try canceling through the terminal. Again
> lpstat shows nothing even when I have a pending job. This
> printer worked when I first installed even though the
> printing quality was terrible. Once I started changing
> configurations for resolution, etc., then the problems
> started and still have not stopped. Are there any files I
> can check? I do not know what else to do. I thought of
> installing LM8 again in expert mode so that I do not lose
> my other files. Does anyone have any other suggestions
> again? Thanks. Marcia

Marcia....you might try removing CUPS completely and going
back to lpd.  I just did this, as an experiment, in reaction
to your comtinuing CUPS problems.  Here's how I did it:

remove the following (since you installed a 1.8 version
you'll have to allow for the version differences)

        rpm -e --nodeps cups-1.1.6-21mdk
        rpm -e --nodeps cups-common-1.1.6-21mdk
        rpm -e --nodeps cups-drivers-1.0-30mdk
        rpm -e --nodeps kups-1.1-6mdk
        rpm -e --nodeps qtcups-2.1-11mdk

then delete these directories

        /var/spool/cups
        /var/log/cups
        /usr/share/cups
        /usr/lib/cups
        /etc/cups

then put the following rpm files in an otherwise empty
directory and install them all at once using:

rpm -ivh *

        lpr-0.50-10mdk.i586.rpm
        rhs-printfilters-1.76-3mdk.i586.rpm
        printtool-3.43-2mdk.noarch.rpm (mdk 7.0)
        control-panel-3.11-17mdk (mdk 7.2)
        mpage-2.5.1-12mdk (7.2)

if, like I did, you get a dependency error for printtool
needing rhs-printfilters-with-ppa then add a nodeps to the
command line like this:

rpm -ivh --nodeps *

If you decide to try this, good luck.  lpd is working just
fine on my mdk 8.0 system.
--
Alan