Marcia Waller wrote:

> Dear Alan & All, Thank you Alan so much for your help. I
> have lpd installed and working now. Whew! I had to have
> some printing working. Now that I have it installed it
> reminded me why I was so happy to have cups in 7.2. The
> print is a little too light, wavy, and uneven plus about
> every 5 lines I get print over print so that it is just a
> blur. I had this same problem in 7. How can I improve this
> printing and get rid of the blur?
>
> Another question. My cups in 7.2 had worked well and looked
> good. Would it be possible to install all of the cups files
> from 7.2 into my LM8? Should that work since the LM8 cups
> files did not work at all for me? I will not consider this
> if I can substantially improve the quality of my lpd.
>
> Thanks so very much for your help. Sincerely, Marcia

Marcia....sure the 7.2 CUPS should work with 8.0.  Basically,
reverse the process you just did.  Uninstall the 5 files you
just installed:

        rpm -e --nodeps lpr-0.50-10mdk.i586.rpm
        rpm -e --nodeps rhs-printfilters-1.76-3mdk.i586.rpm
        rpm -e --nodeps printtool-3.43-2mdk.noarch.rpm (mdk 7.0)
        rpm -e --nodeps control-panel-3.11-17mdk (mdk 7.2)
        rpm -e --nodeps mpage-2.5.1-12mdk (7.2)

If there are any errors about not being able to delete some
associated directories because of there still being data in
them then delete them by hand.  Then install these files from
the 7.2 Installation CD by first copying them to an otherwise
empty directory and install them all at once using:

rpm -ivh *

        cups-1.1.4-3mdk.i586.rpm
        cups-drivers-0.3.6-30mdk.i586.rpm
        kups-0.8-24mdk.i586.rpm
        qtcups-1.0-14mdk.i586.rpm

Hopefully you'll not run into any dependency errors and this
will fix up all your printing problems to your satisfaction.
Good luck!
--
Alan