"Justin R. Bregar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I also own an F5 and I had it programmed by Nikon at the last NPPA
>>Conference to leave the Film leader out.  No Charge.  I asked the Tech to
>>confirm my suspicion that Canon (please excuse my filthy mouth) has the
>>patent on A USER SERVICEABLE OPTION TO LEAVE THE FILM LEADER OUT.  He said
>>that is why they can program it and we can't.  Dirty Shame, I did like the
>>option on my old A2e, before I upgraded to the F5.
>>Drew

>Nope.  Minolta's 800si can be programmed to leave it out when rewound.
>It's a Nikon thing.

<<In addition, for something to be patented it must not be "obvious to
one skilled
in the art".  I really doubt leaving the leader out and autorewind fall
into
this category.  I have heard that the Patent Office has been a bit
liberal
in their granting of patents lately.  However, if an idea really should
not
have been patentable in the first place it could be challenged in
court.>>

I agree. Patenting leaving a leader out is like trying to patent an open
door as opposed to a closed door. This is a condition, not an object,
and I really doubt this kind of thing can be patented.
My 2 cents -
drrrRicardo