> Can anyone confirm that the TC-14B is the most suited teleconverter (in
> the 1.4X range) for the 200mm f2........ or is it the TC-14A?

Paul,
This is what my nikon catalogue says regarding the AIS 200/2:

TC-14A - There is occasional vignetting. When used at smaller apertures
than f11 with high shutter speeds there is occasional uneven exposure.

TC-14B - When used at smaller apertures than f11 with high shutter speeds
there is occasional uneven exposure.

Overall, it seems the TC-14B would be better since there is no risk of
vignetting. I suspect it would be sharper too.

"Uneven exposures" may be due to the following. At small apertures the
aperture blades need to move a long way to the correct position, which
takes time. Adding the TC between the camera and lens may increase this
time slightly, so when fast shutter speeds are used, the lens may not be
fully stopped down when the exposure starts.
This is unlikely to be a real problem, I imagine the reason for having a
200/2 is so you can use wide apertures! Also, at small apertures, shutter
speeds tend to be long.

Roland.