I received the following comment from the Independent Submissions Editor (ISE):

 The command VER is hazardous because it encourages exploiting of
 implementation peculiarities that are not well documented in a
 protocol.  The best example of such a failure is the browser version
 field in HTTP.  A complete disaster.  You should warn against use of
 this command, or even better, deprecate it.

I was not aware of the disaster in the browser version field, but I will warn against use of VER, and deprecate it, if you agree.

Roger